California Motorcycle Laws and Regulations
Motorcycle riders have the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as any other motorist on the road. However, there are some laws specific to motorcycles that all riders in the state of California are obligated to comply with. The following is a look at some of the most important California motorcycle laws to be aware of if you ride.
California Motorcycle Equipment Laws
- Safety helmets are required for all riders (California Vehicle Code, VC, 27803). While earplugs can be worn as long as riders can hear sirens/horns, only a single earphone can legally be worn at any given time.
- Right and left mirrors are required on all motorcycles (VC 26709).
- Motorcycles towing trailers must not exceed 55 mph and must stay in the right-most lane (unless passing other vehicles in which case the motorcycle must remain in the right-most two lanes). Also, motorcycles towing trailers are not permitted in carpool lanes.
- Passenger footrests and seats are required if a passenger is riding on a motorcycle.
California Motorcycle Laws: Lane Splitting and Lane SharingLane splitting, which may also be referred to as lane sharing or whitening, occurs when a motorcycle rider passes between two lanes of traffic to bypass other vehicles. In California, lane splitting is legal. Additionally, California laws:
- Do not specifically restrict riders from riding two abreast (side-by-side) in a given lane.
- Prohibit other motorists from trying to stop riders from lane splitting by, for instance, intentionally blocking a rider (VC 22400) or opening a vehicle door to impede a rider (VC 22517).
California Motorcycle Laws: Insurance RequirementsMotorcycle riders are legally required to have liability insurance. The minimum coverage requirements per California law are as follows:
- $15,000 for individual bodily injury
- $30,000 for bodily injuries to multiple people
- $5,000 for property damage.
San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at the Anna Dubrovsky Law Group, Inc.Have you been injured in a motorcycle accident? If so, you can count on the experienced San Francisco motorcycle accident attorneys at the Anna Dubrovsky Law Group, Inc. for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help pursuing justice and compensation. When you trust our San Francisco motorcycle accident attorneys to represent you, you can be confident that you will receive:
- A clear explanation of your rights and potential case
- Honest answers about your case
- Personalized legal services
- The highest quality representation.